Yes - A visa is required for travel to Germany

Sunday, September 27, 2020

A valid passport and visa are required in order to reside in Germany as an enrolled student.

The Consulate of Germany requires applicants to apply for German visas directly, and a personal appearance may be necessary at the nearest German Consulate.

Navigating the frequently changing visa requirements and application rules involved in applying for an international visa can be a complex process. Our Executive Service team will streamline everything from completing your forms and applications for you to booking your consular appointment. We can even meet you at the consulate to help with any last-minute needs. Talk to our Executive Service team about how we can simplify your visa process by calling 800-632-3943.


Passport Requirements:

Original, signed passport valid for 6 months beyond stay in Europe, with at least two blank passport pages available for German visa. Amendment pages in the back of the passport are not suitable for German visas or residency permits.


Germany Visa Application Form:

Two German visa application forms completed online, printed and signed, plus one copy.

Two original, signed Visa Declaration Forms plus one copy.


Photo Requirements:

Two recent, identical, 2 x 2 passport photographs, in color, front view and with a plain/light background.


Other Forms:

Proof of residential address in the US; a copy of driver's license or state issued ID with the address matching the present address on the visa application is preferred. The most recent major utility bill (Water, Gas, Electric, Sewage), or a copy of a valid/current lease containing both the landlord and tenant signature, may also be accepted.


Official Invitation:

Letter of Acceptance from the college or institution in Germany:
- Confirming that the student has been accepted and enrolled on a course of full-time education, involving a minimum of 15 hours organized daytime tuition each week,
- Giving details of the course of study,
- Stating the amount of fees payable for the course,
- Stating the amount that has been paid,
- If the college has taken out medical insurance on teh student's behalf, stating that the college has done so.


Applicants Under the Age of 18:

A child (under 18) who is not traveling with both parents or a legal guardian must provide a notarized letter of consent signed by the non-accompanying parent(s) or guardian authorizing the German consulate to issue a visa to the minor. A copy of the child's birth certificate and guardianship or custody agreement documents are also required. Please submit one photocopy of this document in addition to the original.

Upon entry to Germany, the minor should be ready to present the notarized letter of consent, a notarized copy of their birth certificate and notarized copies of parents' passports.


Proof of Sufficient Funds:

Two copies of documents showing proof of sufficient funds to support entire stay in Germany without recourse to public funds, or the reliance on casual employment.


In Person Appearance:

The Consulate requires applicants to make a personal appearance to apply for this visa. These instructions are provided as a guide to help with this process. We recommend that you contact your nearest Consulate directly to confirm requirements and make an appointment to apply in person.

Register your trip with the US Embassy:

The US State Department strongly encourages American citizens planning international travel to register with the US Embassy(s) in the countries they plan to visit. Registration notifies the US Embassy in each country of your travel plans and enrolls you in the State Department travel advisory and warnings program. Feel more secure about your international travels by having Travisa register your trip with the US Department of State; simply complete the form on your visa application kit after placing your order.